Coda File System

Re: server starting but venus dies

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:12:28 -0400
On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 05:04:58PM -0700, Ben Woodard wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 06:28:29PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 03:20:59PM -0700, Ben Woodard wrote:
> > > My guess is that something is still a bit screwed up in the codasrv
> > > and the volume is not attached but I am not sure what that means. I
> > > also think that there is a bug in venus that is causing it to crash
> > > and burn when there are no volumes attached.
> >
> > Btw. venus seems to try to get access to a volume that doesn't exists.
> >
> > Did you create the rootvolume (with the same name as in /vice/db/ROOTVOLUME).
> > It could be that when venus cannot get the rootvolume information, it
> > passed some bad info to the child that attempts to mount /coda.
> >

> What do you want me to check? /vice/db/ROOTVOLUME is simply "rootvol1"
> which is what I expect it to be.
>
> /vice/vol/VolumeList is:
> P/vicepa Hwythe.su.varesearch.com T3cc674 F3cb4dc

Hi Ben,

That's it, you don't have the rootvol. Sorry, but reinitializing RVM
destroyed all information regarding volumes and file metadata/directory
structure. I didn't realize you had anything important stored there.

> and /vice/vol/AllVolumes is:
> rootvol1.0 1 wythe.su.varesearch.com /vicepa 2 0 0 W 928509191 928509191 0

This one is outdated. Running 'bldvldb.sh wythe.su.varesearch.com' will
recreate this list from the fetched VolumeLists. This is also done by
the createvol_rep script when creating a new volume.

You probably need to remove the entry for the rootvol1 volume from
/vice/vol/VRList to avoid problems before creating new volumes.

> Are those the right files to look at? Do they look sane?
>
> -ben
>
> Hmm that sounds a bit more like it. How could I have done that. I don't
> remember creating any volumes since I first installed the coda server. Never
> mind that doesn't matter.

If it were not for the fact that you `lost' rvm, you wouldn't have lost
the volumes when upgrading. Now there is nothing to do but start from a
clean slate. Vice setup will proably fail on things like an already
initialized /vicepa tree. It looks like everything is pretty much in a
clean state, so cleaning old entries from /vice/vol/VRList should be
enough.

Otherwise remove everything in /vicepa, and then run vice-setup-srvdir
to recreate the tree there.

> How can I get everything setup properly again? What files do I need to modify.
> Should I do a vice-setup? I would really prefer not to loose the data that
> lives in my coda volume?

You `might' still find some leftover filedata in the /vicepa tree. But
it will very hard to reconstruct.