Coda File System

Re: Files larger than venus cache?

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_drgw.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 20:57:54 -0500 (CDT)
On 30 Jun 1999, Bill Gribble wrote:

> It seems that venus and/or the Linux kernel-venus interface can't deal
> with files bigger than its cache, returning an ENOSPC (or so I presume
> from the error message) on an attempt to open one.
>
> I guess this means that the cache works on a per-file basis rather
> than a per-page basis, and gives up if a file is bigger than can fit
> in the cache.  Is this widely considered a bug or a feature?

"It's a feature not a bug" ;)

As for caching on a per-page basis, how do you deal with interoperability
between machines with different page sizes (x86 vs Alpha).

However, someone adding X kilobyte block caching support would be a nice
project for someone ;)

> (server/client v. 5.2.4, Linux kernel 2.2.10, venus/kernel module
> 5.2.3)
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Gribble

| Troy Benjegerdes    |       troy_at_microux.com     |    hozer_at_drgw.net   |
|    Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first.  |
| This message composed with 100% free software.    http://www.gnu.org   |