Coda File System

Automatic authorization?

From: Bill Gribble <grib_at_cs.utexas.edu>
Date: 24 Jun 1999 09:40:50 -0500
I'm setting up shared home directories using Coda and I'm wondering
what the best way to automatically give users Coda auth tokens on
login is.  I'm on a glibc-2.1 Debian Linux system using PAM.

For the moment, I'm just telling my 5-10 users that they have to put
their Coda password in clear text in a mode 600 file called
~/.coda_password, and then add the line 'cat .coda_password | clog' to
their X startup and login-rc files.  But I HATE the idea of passwords
stored in clear text anywhere, even though I know that access to
~/.coda_password requires access to the user's files, which is all
Coda authentication will get you.

Is there an easy way to make this better?  I'm sure there are standard
ways to solve this problem, perhaps using Kerberos?

Thanks for any advice,
Bill Gribble