Coda File System

Re: Venus dying on file create by xemacs or Star Office 5.0

From: <mattwell_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:44:23 -0400
I updated to 2.2.10 and built the new coda module but am still experiencing the
same problems.
I think the freezing I am seeing is related to not being able to unmount coda.
If I do a ctrl-alt-del
shutdown starts but doesn't complete. The only way out I have found at that time
is to power
cycle.

Is it worthwhile to try compiling a bleeding edge venus? I'm not familiar with
the mechanism
being used to make venus available for debugging when it dies. Is there a way I
can detect
that venus died in a script and execute a clean up and restart venus or do a
clean reboot?

Matt
--

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 03:42:52PM -0400, mattwell_at_us.ibm.com wrote:

> I am having some problems with venus. Creating files from
> some applications causes venus to die (go into the mode
> waiting for debugging). I can copy files, touch files, and create
> them with vi but if I try to use xemacs or Star Office venus dies
> and I have to reboot (can't login at another VT but the mouse
> still works - usually). Often I can't even reboot and I have to
> kill the power.

Hi Matt,

Venus 5.2.0 has a known null-pointer dereference problem, which is
triggered by all operations that attempt to create a new directory
entry. This is annoying, but cannot cause a complete system lockup.

A lockup like this would indicate that something is wrong with the
kernel code. Could you try to update your kernel to linux-2.2.10, and
combine that with a new Coda kernel module built from:
  ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu:/pub/coda/src/linux-coda-5.2.3-linux2.2.9.tgz

There are a couple of fixes in our version wrt. to the one in the
official kernel tree, those seem to have solved at least one
(infrequent) lockup we noticed here on a SMP machine.