Coda File System

Re: BeOS?

From: LEE, Yui-wah <clement+_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 19:49:54 -0400 (EDT)
Erik Eriksson (ee_at_lysator.liu.se) wrote:

> Two questions from a newcomer to the list:
>
> 1) What are the main differences between AFS and Coda? I noticed that
>    there are some people working on a free implementation of AFS. What
>    are the main reasons to use Coda instead?

Coda supports (actually pioneered) disconnected operation and
weakly connected operation, which are very useful for mobile
computing.  It also supports replicated servers, which are
aimed at providing higher availability to clients.

You can find a lot of information from the Coda web site
(www.coda.cs.cmu.edu).

> 2) Has there been any efforts to port Coda to the Be operating system
>    (BeOS)? How much work does a port involve?

I would say there are three main chunks of task:
  - RVM (Recoverable Virtual Memory), a building block of Coda
  - Coda's user-level programs (client and server)
  - Coda's kernel code

Ask Peter Braam (braam+@cs.cmu.edu) if you are interested in helping.

-- Clement