Coda File System

Re: 5.2 coda with 5.0 coda-fs-module

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:53:31 -0400
adamdcohen_at_yahoo.com said:
| This is only one version of the coda-fs-module on the ftp site.  Can I
| use 5.2 client or server with the 5.0 coda-fs-module?

Yes, you can

It is probably safe to say that a coda 5.0.0 kernel module will
definitively work with coda-5.2.0, except when there is a coda 5.2.0
kernel module available (which there isn't, it's just an example).

This ofcourse also happens with different kernel versions. For instance,
a little change in the rename code in linux-2.2.6 makes the kernel module
incompatible with previous kernels, but not with previous versions of
coda. If you are compiling your kernel from source, it is probably
easiest to download the linux-coda-x.x.x.tgz coda kernel source and compile
the coda module from that.

And if things don't work, just ask on the codalist.

| Thanks.

| By the way I've got coda running (a little) with the server on redhat
| 5.2 and a windows '98 client.

Wow, that is great. Marc has been making very good progress here in
speeding the windows ports up a lot.

CU