Coda File System

Re: Other OSes?

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:55:35 -0400
Hi Anders,

A compile on Solaris would be most welcome.  I think it might be a good
idea to ignore the client kernel code in the first instance and get
venus and the servers going.

For the client kernel code, there are a couple of alternatives.  First
with the Solaris kernel development kit, it shouldn't be too hard -
particularly given that one can learn from the ARLA code.  On the other
hand,  kernel code is always very time consuming to debug.

Another possibility is to use an NFS/Coda translator that offers a
modified NFS server inside Venus, running on the Coda client.  It
doesn't give all of the benefits of a native client implementation, but
it would run, without kernel modules on any client which has an NFS file
system, and offer disconnected operation.

Paola Scherman  pscherman_at_waelder.com.ar and Sergio Romano
sergio_at_arroba.com.ar have been working on this and  are reasonably far
along.

Let me know about any progress you are making!

- Peter -