Coda File System

Re: Building (an trying) Coda 5 on FreeBSD-3.0

From: Robert V. Baron <rvb_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: 03 Mar 1999 10:10:14 -0500
Sylvain ROUGIER <Sylvain.ROUGIER_at_act.oda.fr> writes:

> "Robert V. Baron" wrote:
> >
> > Sylvain ROUGIER <Sylvain.ROUGIER_at_act.oda.fr> writes:
> >
> > >       Hello,
> > >
> > > I am sorry for such a RTFM question, but I can't find any answer.
> > >
> > > How could I build the kernel parts ( preferably lkm, but new kernel are OK) of  Coda 5.x.y on FreeBSD-3.0 ?
> > >
> > > I know how to build command, but not the kernel part.
> > >
> > > S.R.
> >
> > I do not prefer lkm's.  But you should just go to /usr/src/lkm/coda
> Why ?
First, lkm's are not used in the kernel anymore.  Second, lkm's do not
make their symbols available for debugging.  Finally, lkm's are loaded/linked
by user programs outside the kernel and can get confused if the kernel you
booted is not /kernel

> > and do a make there.  (I think that's the directory, I'm on klds and elf
> > kernels here.)
> Well, if I do that I get module of coda 4.x.y because that was the source installed during the
> FreeBSD-3.0 instalation. I would like to try  coda 5.
The coda/ in the kernel should be adequate to run coda 5.  There is no
separate module made available in the coda kernel source tree.  The
module source is maintained with the freebsd -current sources.

Does Coda 5 work with the freebsd kernel lkm module?

> > Another choice is to go to the kernel build area and grep -i coda in the LINT
> > file.  Copy those lines to your "GENERIC" configuration file and then rebuild
> > the kernel.
> I done that before. But I get kernel with coda 4 :-)
Again, this should work.  If the running coda client does not like the kernel
module it is running with, it will complain.

> > Finally, if you are using kld's just go to /usr/src/sys/modules/coda and type
> > make.
> I don't know kld, what is it ?
> anyway, this miserabily fail:

> root_at_tsointsoin:/usr/src/sys/modules/coda Wed Mar  3 11:39:59  bash(223)
> >make
> Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/sys/modules/coda
> @ -> /usr/src/sys
> machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
> sh /usr/src/sys/modules/coda/../../kern/vnode_if.sh /usr/src/sys/modules/coda/../../kern/vnode_if.src
> cc -O -pipe  -DKERNEL -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wuninitialized -Wformat  -fformat-extensions -ansi -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-  -I/usr/src/sys/modules/coda -I/usr/src/sys/modules/coda/@ -DVFS_LKM -DVFS_KLD -c /usr/src/sys/modules/coda/../../coda/coda_fbsd.c
> In file included from /usr/src/sys/modules/coda/../../coda/coda_fbsd.c:229:
> /usr/src/sys/modules/coda/@/sys/lkm.h:73: field `lkm_oldent' has incomplete type
> /usr/src/sys/modules/coda/@/sys/lkm.h:138: field `lkm_oldexec' has incomplete type
> *** Error code 1
I'm guessing that you have a rather old 3.0.  Modules generate kld's not lkm's.  I
don't see why the above is happening.  When I build on my machine it just works.
My kernel tree is a bit old from 01/15/

> Stop.
>
> Well, I starting to think that I never get coda 5 work on my FreeBSD-3.0 :-(
Again, just try the coda5 with the lkm module you have.