Coda File System

Re: Coda on PPC linux

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 10:06:10 -0500
hozer_at_drgw.net said:
| Coda 5.0.1 appears to work fine from the (very limited) testing I've
| done so far. However, there are two things that I'm not sure about..

Great.

| does Coda use c++ exceptions at all? If not, shouldn't -fno-exceptions
| be used in the CFLAGS (probably in configs/Makeconf.linux)?

No Coda does not use exceptions, and there is only one place where it
might, but we opted against it as it would limit the choice of compiler
pretty much down to egcs. I don't think gcc 2.8.x has support for
exceptions. However gcc/g++ doesn't accept the -fno-exceptions flag, so
this would have to be deduced by the configure script.

| Also, on PPC, gcc and egcs default to -funsigned-char. I get lots of
| 'comparison is always 1 due to limited range of data type' warnings
| due to this, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't affect operation.
|
| -fsigned-char might be a good option to put in the Makeconf.linux for
| all platforms.

We just fixed a long filename bug having to do with storing a namelength
in a signed char instead of an unsigned char. I'd rather fix the lot of
warnings, at least that will reduce any chances of silly bugs staying
around.