Coda File System

Re: Fun with coda

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 18:56:20 -0500
jcl_at_gs176.sp.cs.cmu.edu said:
| I just downloaded and installed linux-2.2.1 and coda-5.0.1.  I wanted
| to  setup a server and client on my home machine and play around with
| it.  I  went with the defaults for a toy configuration and everything
| ran fine until I did: [root_at_crush /root]# venus
|
| Date: Sat 01/30/99
|
| 19:35:50 Probably another Venus is running! open(/dev/cfs0) failed
| (1), exiting

Unmount /coda, then try again.  It is not possible to reattach to an
already mounted coda fs, and although it is automatically mounted when
venus starts, it is not unmounted when venus exits.

I believe that the reason for this is that it is impossible to unmount
while some program still has something in the filesystem opened. So
when the unmount fails, it is likely that there some shell that has its
current working directory in /coda.