Coda File System

Re: please help

From: Kragen Sitaker <kragen_at_pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:29:07 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> If you improve the release engineering so that I can get coda running
> with one ftp, one tar, one configure, one make, and one shell script
> to start the daemons -- I will do so!  Simple as that.  And so will a
> lot of other people, I think.

Agreed.  (Hey, even if it's a little harder than that.)

It would be nice if you could include a script or two to set up some
basic partitions (I understand you have to allocate RVM space,
initialize it, and some stuff like that?) that would let us get up and
running even if we don't know what we're doing.

> Given the choice between a one-command
> build and a six month uptime, the one command build will get me to
> play with it, and the six month uptime will not.

Bravo!  Bravo!

> >From what little I see on the announcement list, you're quite firmly a
> Cathedral.  This is not from an autocratic style, but simply because
> you're the only people that understand the design and the internals
> well enough to do anything.  First attract a bunch of bug reporters
> with an easy-to-install product.  Then some of them will slowly wade
> into the code, after they've absorbed its behavior from their bug
> reporting.

Bravo again.  Brian, thank you for speaking up so sensibly, as usual.

I've been interested in Coda for quite a while.  But I've never yet got
up the courage to try it, because it sounds like it will take me a
weekend to install!

If there's a simple toy configuration I can set up in the 20MB or so
currently remaining free on my disk, I will be happy to do so.

Computers are the tools of the devil. It is as simple as that. There is no
monotheism strong enough that it cannot be shaken by Unix or any Microsoft
product. The devil is real. He lives inside C programs. -- philg_at_mit.edu