Coda File System

Re: disconnect mode

From: Carsten Ranfeld <Carsten.Ranfeld_at_Informatik.TU-Chemnitz.DE>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 23:50:10 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, 2 Nov 1998 jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu wrote:

> Only root and the console user can make hoard commands, but on linux there
> are multiple VC's and therefore there is (possibly) not a single console user.
> That's why the primaryuser flag is used.
good to know ;-)

> I assume you replaced the number 500 with your user id and vmm:root with your
> rootvolume name.
That's right.

> Is by any chance the volume a non-replicated one? (i.e. you used createvol to
> create the volume?) Non-replicated volumes cannot be cached in disconnected
> mode because thay are missing some attributes that are essential in detecting
> conflicts.
That was the problem, the files were in cache, but I couldn't work on it.
Now I used files in a replicated volume ... and I can work disconnect.

> We have explicitly removed createvol from 4.6.6 and 4.7.x releases to avoid
> confusion. Despite the name, a replicated volume does not have to be
> replicated across on multiple servers.
It's really confusing.

But I still have a problem. Since I updated to coda-4.6.6 I can't return
from disconnected mode.
cfs reconnect   and     cfs writerecconect
don't have any effect. cfs cs finds the server down.

btw. What's the difference between a replicated volume and a volume
replicated across 2 or more servers?

Carsten

Carsten Ranfeld
Carsten.Ranfeld_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
ESC :%s/windows/linux/g