Coda File System

Re: Coda Distributed Filesystem release 4.6.6

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 18:01:25 -0400

Michael Stone wrote:
> That seems to have done it. Is this documented somewhere? The Makefile says:
> # TARGETS:
> #       install recursively build and install objects
> #       all     recursively build objects
> #       clean   recursively descend the tree and clean .a's, .o's, binaries,
> #       rcs     populate the tree with rcs links
> #       reconfigure
> #               do a ../configure again with all the same args
>
> Which is nowhere near accurate.

Correct, this `feature' is fixed in the development version (4.7.x). But
I have overlooked putting that patch back into 4.6.6. Btw. it is documented
in the file INSTALL.linux (ftp://ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/linux/).

2.  Building coda (outside CMU):
       a) unpack the source; you need gcc, g++, flex, ncurses, gdbm,
           readline etc, and have 80MB free to build from source.
        b) at the top level type ./configure
        c) at the top level type make coda
        d) at the top level type make client-install, or make server-install
        e) rebuild kernels if needed
        f) configure clients/servers and you should be up.

Ofcourse we tried to hide this information the best we could ;)