Coda File System

Re: Coda performance on PPC

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_drgw.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:48:21 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Peter J. Braam wrote:

> Wow so it's really working on the PPC. Super.

Well, sorta ;) You need to do some magic with gcc and the libstc++ library
or things segfault all over the place (PPC uses egcs as the default
compiler and libstc++ that comes with egcs is apparently not thread safe).
If anyone wants to try it, I strongly encourage you to contact me.

> Where can we find bonnie? I'd like to run that here.

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/i386/bonnie-1.0-3.i386.rpm

> There are many performance issues: running a client on the same machine as
> a server is often a killer - we may have time to tune some things.

How hard would it be to make venus communicate with codasrv via shared
memory or UNIX domain sockets when on the local machine, instead of via
the localhost interface? (or is that just too much work)

> We also had terrible bandwidth until just now, but today or tomorrow we
> are coming out with 4.6.5 which will significantly improve this.  Can you
> try those too?  Unfortunately your patches are not in 4.6.5 yet (I'm
> overloaded).
>
> - Peter -

Let me know when and where I can get it ;)

| Troy Benjegerdes    |    troybenj_at_iastate.edu    |    hozer_at_drgw.net   |
|    Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first.  |
| This message composed with 100% free software.    http://www.linux.org |