Coda File System

Re: process authentication groups (resent)

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds_at_transmeta.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:15:20 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 12 May 1998, Peter J. Braam wrote:

> Will you consider this mini patch which gives us "newpag" and "getpag"
> system calls, implemented by the students cc'd above?  It puts an extra
> unsigned long in the process structure and defines two mini syscalls and
> an entry in the /proc/status output.

Not for 2.2. I don't feel comfortable adding new features like this.

> /**** NOTE ****/
> --------> Even if you don't take it note that it patches two little bugs:
>
> -       .long SYMBOL_NAME(sys_chown)
> +       .long SYMBOL_NAME(sys_lchown)

No, the kernel is correct. Do a grep for "chown" and you'll see why (the
_old_ chown turned into lchown, and the new chown is just chown - for
security reasons we want the old chown entrypoint to act the way it always
did).

> and the syscall numbering was off by one.

Insignificant - it's just important that the area is big enough, it's ok
to be one entry too big. But fixed.

		Linus