Coda File System

Re: coda-4.3.13 src: 64-bit safety problems

From: Steven N. Hirsch <shirsch_at_ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 07:27:23 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Peter J. Braam wrote:

> Steve,
>
> What's in your /usr/coda/etc/vstab?
>
> Are you using a LOG file or a raw log partition, same for data on the
> server?  What is the size of that data file?
>
> Things are slow (and a solution is in the making) but what you tell us is
> terrible.
>
> - Peter -

As I commented in my posting, the log and metadata are on their own
partitions.  Which data file are you asking about above?  I admit to being
confused, as I apparently have log information in one partition, file
metatdata in another partition, and the actual files themselves (??) under
/usr/src/vicepa.  Perhaps an overall definition of terms would be
appropriate?

The /usr/coda/etc/vstab file reads thusly:

/coda:/dev/cfs0:cy.steve.net:/usr/coda/venus.cache:20000:1

Let me know what other information you may need.

Steve

> On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
>
> > Under Intel Linux, I've yet to get through my basic networking test:
> >
> > - Copy linux source tree to coda volume
> > - Do 'make mrproper'
> > - Do 'make xconfig'
> > (etc.)
> >
> > Copying the source to the server takes almost an hour (and, yes, I do have
> > the metadata and log on their own partitions).  This is incredibly slow..