Coda File System

Re: Coda Progress

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 19:41:59 -0500 (EST)
Brian,

Using a Coda server in conjunction with a replicated web server is an
excellent idea that we have toyed with for a while.  The Coda clients
would persistently cache the www pages, indeed, until someone updated
them, and deliver high performance access (servers would not be involved
at all, Venus would only serve the "open" call and then it is direct
kernel access.

Having one server at your company and both clients which are laptops and
clients which are WWW servers would be an excellent case.

If I read your message correctly "co-located" means a replicated server.
This I would recommend you postpone for a bit; I am completely rewriting
the directory handling system in Coda to eliminate a nasty problem that
can happen in resolution.   I hope to have this done in early March.

We have to be careful: at the moment we don't have kerberos support and
you would have to back your stuff up a bit clumpsily. I am working on
this.  You could not net give this stuff to dozens of ISP customers at the
moment.

Let's keep talking.  When I know more about what you want it may be much
more possible.

- Peter -