Coda File System

Re: [Ref: #97.07.0945] Network problems accessing cs machines

From: <thoth_at_purplefrog.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 12:01:30 -0400
Gripe_at_VEGA.FAC.CS.CMU.EDU ,in message <20500.868632513_at_PHOTON.FAC.CS.CMU.EDU>,
	wrote:

> I assume the machine in question is JEPTHE.ODYSSEY.CS.CMU.EDU.  I think the
> problem might be it doesn't have a default routing entry.  Try adding a
> default route (net 0.0.0.0) pointing to 128.2.254.36.  Use the "route"
> command to do this.

  Peter, if this is the case, your penance is:

  * 5 Hail Stroustrups

 and

  * instruct the homeless in the use of traceroute and ping.

  Anyway, go talk to your security people and network admins and discuss the
risks of making this machine a public target.  I'm sure somebody's going to
try an old sendmail bug on it at some point.

--
Bob Forsman                                   thoth_at_gainesville.fl.us
           http://www.gainesville.fl.us/~thoth/