Coda File System

Re: Linux 2.6 kernel

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:40:35 -0500
On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:59:29AM -0500, Samir Patel wrote:
> I suppose I should have asked this back when the first 2.6 test kernel
> was released, but can't hurt to ask now that 2.6.0 has been officially
> released.  Has anyone tried getting Coda working with 2.6?  From my
> understanding, there have been big changes to the whole module
> subsystem, so I'm not sure if the existing kernel source will work.  I
> haven't tried running 2.6 yet, but it's supposed to perform much better
> than 2.4.  Anyone taken a look at potential issues?

I've been running 2.5/2.6 kernels every day since 2.5.1 was released :)
Coda works fine, and in some ways better because 2.6 doesn't have the
NFS ESTALE hack in namei that causes validation problems for anyone but
NFS. Those 2.4 problems are sadly enough only really noticable for Coda,
possibly be cause we have an active callback mechanism to purge stale
data out of the kernel, while everyone else either assumes that noone
else can possibly change data without going through the kernel, or uses
some a timeout based method.

The realms patches were merged around 2.6.0-test5, so you don't even
need to patch the tree or build your own kernel-module.