Coda File System

Re: lwp and includes, and an rpc2/tcpdump question

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:18:26 -0500
On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 10:49:47AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> The sources from www.tcpdump.org don't have rpc2 in them, it seems.
> This appears to be the heir-apparent of the 'current' distribution of
> tcpdump.  The maintainer (mcr_at_sandelman.ottawa.on.ca) seems willing to
> take patches.

The problem is actually that we don't have nice `plug-n-play' patches
for rpc2 decoding. Our current setup depends on the protocol opcodes
(i.e. headers) generated by rp2gen, and the resulting tcpdump can only
pretty-print Coda traffic.

> When I ./configure'd coda with the same prefix, it didn't find lwp.
> This is really an autoconf issue, but IMHO when a package needs
> another package, a user who wants them both in the same oddball prefix
> shouldn't need to do special work.  I see that there are
> --with-lwp-includes and --with-lwp-dir options, but it would be cool
> if the configure script found it in $(prefix)/{include,lib}.

Ok, I've applied your patch, actually testing ${prefix} first. I don't
think we need CFLAGS during the test at all. We are only attempting to
link;

    int main(void) { return 0; }

against -L${path} -llwp. If a path is found, then we set CFLAGS and
LDFLAGS at some later point.

> As an aside, I'd vote for removing configure from cvs, and adding a
> bootstrap.sh.  People already need autoconf/automake installed for
> building lwp from cvs, and while automake/libtool might be a bit much,
> autoconf is getting to be normal enough these days (IMHO, of course).

Yes, at some point I'd like to move the main coda tree to automake as
well. I already got rvm and rpc2 separated, still cleaning the build a
bit, your patch has been applied to them as well. This way all the
libraries that I care most about becoming shared libraries, and needing
libtool, are then external packages.

Also, RVM and RPC2 are relatively difficult to `automake'. RVM compiles
the same source tree with different options, once for libxxx and once
for libxxxlwp. RPC2 is difficult to cross-compile, it needs to build
rp2gen for the native environment. So separating these was a good
exercise for me to learn how to use automake :)

> (all this was on freebsd-3.3+kame/i386)

Nice, it looks like we got this working well on all platforms by now.

If people would like to test whether rvm and rpc2 build correctly on
different platforms. They are in the CVS repository as `rvm' and `rpc2'.