Coda File System

Re: Memory consumption

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:31:12 -0500
On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 07:14:00PM +0100, Kurt Huwig wrote:
> We have a machine here with 16G diskspace and another with 40G+.
> Physical RAM is 64/128MB. How much physical RAM do we need to have it
> work fine?

Ok, forgot to answer the real question with my previous mail....

40GB fileserver... That would be about 1.5 GB of RVM, which probably
cannot be mmapped into the VM space of any single process on a 32bit
machine. So it is the `perfect' setup to try and run 2 servers on that
machine, each with about 750MB RVM data.

OTOH, I'm not sure how well the 4% rule applies, it depends greatly on
how large the average filesize is. If your files are large, there is
less metadata, and therefore it is possible to work with less RVM.

We really want to map required RVM space back to f.i. number of
volumes/files/etc. and come up with a better formula than `about 4% of
the exported diskspace'.